Corbett Wins NSW Compact Speedcar Title

There was plenty of action last night at Nowra Speedway during the running of the 2015-2016 New South Wales Compact Speedcar Championships.

Queensland’s Wayne Corbett came out on top to regain the NSW no1, becoming a member of a very elite group of drivers that have won all three state titles in Compacts. He now joins the likes of Glen Dobbin and Danny Stainer, both multiple Australian champions, and truly deserves this honor.

Three drivers tied on equal points after the qualifying heats had been run. Wayne Corbett, Victoria’s Geoff Meyers and Nowra local, Tony Aulsebrook. These three had to draw marbles to determine their starting positions for the 25 lap feature event.

Meyers drew 1, Aulsebrook 2 and Corbett 3. Behind them were, Alan Day 4, Jason Essai 5, Emma Harris 6, Rob Eyeington 7, Scott Saville 8, Stewart Henderson 9, Richard Meyers 10, Adam Henry 11, Darren Dillon 12, Darren Hawksworth 13, Gavin Gay 14, Chris Ferguson 15, Con Buurveld 16, Dave Swan 17, Rod Francis 18 and the last remaining starter, Keiran Macklyn.

Craig Hickey, blown motor, Marty Perry bent and beaten car, Darren Margules, damaged steering, Andrew Coppock, mechanical issues and Gaby Yammouni, fried clutch all had to watch from the safety of the pits.

Geoff Meyers was first into turn one with Aulsebrook, Corbett, Essai, Day, Harris, Eyeington, Saville, Richard Meyers and Henry the top ten at the completion of the first lap.

The racing surface was slick with the majority of the field holding a tight line. Corbett however found some bight on the high line and was trying to make that work.

The yellows came on at the end of lap three for a spinning Darren Hawksworth. Eyeington had made up a couple of spots to be now sitting in fifth when the cars came around for the restart.

Corbett was persisting with that high line disposing of Aulsebrook, then Meyers two laps later. Aulsebrook then brought out the yellows on lap 7 the result of a spin in turns one and two after plenty of pressure from Eyeington who had earlier disposed of Essai.

There was one more yellow at lap ten for Hawksworth again. He was ordered to the infield. The remaining fifteen laps ran uninterrupted.

Corbett began to open a bit of a gap to Meyers and Eyeington who were having a ding dong battle with Eyeington moving into second on the fifteenth lap.

Further back Darren Dillon wasn’t having the best of titles and was struggling with a miss fire.

With the checkered flag approaching, Corbett was clear out front but the battle for second was still intense with Meyers having to try and make the high line work with Eyeington protecting the bottom. Meyers made the pass around the outside to take up second with three laps remaining.

The checkers came out for a very deserving Wayne Corbett who never put a foot wrong the whole night. Geoff Meyers came in second with Eyeington in third. Jason Essai held out Emma Harris for fourth. Alan Day, Darren Dillon, Scott Saville, Adam Henry and Richard Meyers made up the top ten.

Heat wins went to Craig Hickey, Jason Essai, Alan Day, Geoff Meyers, Wayne Corbett and Tony Aulsebrook.

NSW Podium