Corbetts Hot Streak Continues

Wayne Corbett went back to back by taking out Saturday nights feature at Archerfield speedway. Just a week after winning at Toowoomba Corbett again proved too strong and even carried his ‘hot’ form onto the BBQ after the meeting!

The night got underway with sunshine however by the time heat 1 had lined up some dark clouds were gathering in the distance. Audie Malt grabbed the early lead from grid 2 on a greasy track that hadn’t been helped by storms the day before. He quickly set about building a lead as others diced in the pack. Malt would hold the lead until the last lap when he was baulked by a lap car and Robbie Stewart took the opportunity to pounce and grab the win followed by Malt and Cameron Pesschier.

Chris Paolini and Byron Schmoll lead heat 2 away with Paolini grabbing the early lead however Barry Gibbes would take that from him after the first lap and disappear. Scott Jeynes made his way into second but wasn’t able to catch Gibbes who won comfortably from Jeynes with Paolini solid in third.

Shortly before the third heat it appeared the rain was about to arrive with raindrops trying to fall. The race got underway and it was ‘the kid’ Byron Schmoll who took control out front as Pesschier developed engine dramas that would see his night finish early. Audie Malt slotted into second as the battle waged further back in the pack between Jeynes, Emma Harris, Stewart, Corbett and Paul Mcmannim. Unfortunatley Stewart and Mcmannim came together in what can only be described as a racing incident as both drivers were both chasing the same piece of the dirt track, resulting in McMannim’s car rolling several times. Paul emerged unscathed but was out for the night and the race was declared. Schmoll took the win with Malt second in a 1-2 for the Mancave Motorsport team with Jeynes taking third.

The rain came down just before interval and with all the lightning and thunder it looked for all money like the night would be done and dusted. However promotor John Kelly must be in touch with the gods as the heavy rain never came and after a small shower and some track prep it was feature time. Audie Malt was highest point scorer in the heats so was at the ‘back of the bus’ with lots of work to do. Schmoll got the jump at the start and led the field away and started to open a gap. Mid pack and the battles were fierce with Stewart, Jeynes and Corbett trying to charge through while Harris, Gibbes and Paolini were fighting up the front as Schmoll skipped away. Corbett would get to the front and on the next lap a small mistake would bring Schmoll undone as he spun in turn 2 with Jeynes and Malt also spinning to avoid the #14. All three would restart. Corbett lead away from Stewart and Harris before Paolini lost a left rear tyre in turn 3 that would see him spin in turn 4 and gently lay the car on its side. At this point the race was declared with 4 laps left to run with the top three unchanged.

A big thankyou to all who helped during the evening, Peter Pesschier our drivers rep,(looked good in that job Pete) along with Sandra Stewart and masterchef Corbett for BBQ duties…might have to make BBQ duties compulsory for feature winners!!

On behalf of all the committee, club members and all involved with the Qld Compact Speedcar Club we would like to wish everyone a very Merry Xmas and Happy New Year and keep it safe!!

New Years Day is our next meeting at Archerfield so don’t eat too much!!

‘If you ain’t flyin you ain’t tryin’WP_20131013_003