Hudson Picks Corbett’s Pocket To Go Two In A Row


Saturday 15th November saw the Qld compacts roll into Lucas Oil Lismore Speedway under clear but sweltering skies as the temperature was perfect beach weather but sauna like in race suits! The action on the track was just as hot as super quick times were laid down but it was Gary Hudson who took the spoils as he reeled in and moved around a slowing Wayne Corbett with only two laps left to run with Nick Hudson continuing his great season in third.

With a couple of cars missing due to damage or waiting on parts it was a smallish field of cars that filled the pit bays but plenty of quality on show! The track was racy as Hudson Snr wasted no time in heat 1 laying down a quick time of 14.221 secs at 101.259kph and took the win comfortably from son Nick with Corbett third, Kyle Collins, Dave Swan, and Sarah Walker. First year racer Jayden Reigos was a non finisher as he continues to get his car right.

Heat 2 saw the return to the track of Scott Stirling after an engine failure the week before and Robbie Stewart who crashed out also last week. Both drivers had put in the hours during the week to make the show but alas it would all come to nothing for Stirling as his motor again let go. Stewart however was on a charge posting a lap of 14.168 at 101.637kph taking the win. Corbett ran second ahead of local resident Mick Hunter driving the Rob Pidgeon owned #24 followed by Walker and Dave Swan. Stirling DNF.

The quick times kept coming in heat 3 as the top three cars were all clocked over 100kph and in the very low 14 secs bracket with Stewart taking victory with a 14.006 ahead of Hudson Jnr, Snr was third followed by Collins, Hunter and Reigos who had sorted his gremlins and was getting stuck in.

Feature time and there was drama before the cars left the line up chute onto the track as the Stewart car was spotted leaking fuel. After last weeks crash the team had overlooked a fitting which had come loose after the first two heats and the team wasn’t able to fix it in time.
At the drop of the green it was Collins who took control and quickly set about building a good lead. Kyle who has been substituting in the #21 machine for father Dave was showing he is coming to grips with the car and looked untroubled upfront. Meantime the Hudson’s and Corbett had moved into position to chase Collins as they battled it out with each other. The yellows came out for the stranded #17 machine of Walker on lap 6 giving the chasing trio a shot at Collins. At the restart it was Corbett who dived through past Collins and looked to put distance between himself and the chasers. However Collins’ great run would come to end next lap as his chain snapped clipping the engine as he rolled onto the infield. Meanwhile Jnr had jumped past Snr but two laps later Snr got back past and went on the hunt to chase down Corbett who had a handy lead. With the laps winding down it appeared as tho Corbett had done enough however there was still one more twist to come as with four laps to run Corbett’s car started to slow and go off tune. Hudson Snr was pushing hard and with two laps to run was able to round up Corbett and pass him to take victory by 00.192 secs!! Hudson Jnr ran third with Swan the only other finisher. Hunter, Collins, Walker and Reigos DNF.

So with the NSW invasion done for the season there was time to take a breath before the next meeting at Archerfield on the 29th….

Could Hudson go three in a row?